Friday, March 23, 2018

15th Australasian Congress on Genealogy and Heraldy

Six years of anticipation led to the most unbelievable gathering in Sydney at the International Convention Centre! 

I first learned of Congress the year it was held in South Australia, it was too short notice to save and pay for an interstate holiday, I would wait to the next one which was in Canberra, but circumstances were that I could not get to that one either! My family were warned - the next one was going to be in Sydney and I WAS attending!

Last year as soon as registrations were opened I registered and booked my accommodation - I let the family know - I was busy March 8th - March 12th inclusive 2018! They would need to sort out how to get the youngest to and from school because I would simply be away!!

I decided to go down the day before it began so I could check in, not be rushed or late for Day One!
What a good decision that was because they had pre registration up at Glover Cottages on the Wednesday and Thursday!! 

Now I realised in the days leading up to the Thursday that I had no real dinner plans and really did not want to eat alone, so I used the Facebook page "Genimates at Congress 2018" to see if others were interested in coming out for dinner - and there were!
Pancakes at the Rocks at Darling Harbour was decided as the place to go and we ended up with about 25 people attend - what a great start to Congress!
The following days did not disappoint, the topics spoken about were informative and interesting, new friends were made and it was lovely catching up in person with those I have met up with before (even though we do chat on facebook)!

The dinner at Rydges on Saturday night was lovely and we had a 'challenge' to build the Sydney Harbour Bridge from a kit! Our table were first to complete it and I will have it up on a shelf once I get my office in my home!

Ribbons were given out during Congress and I was lucky enough to obtain quite a few! A great idea from the US that will make a lovely keepsake of my first Congress!

So what did I learn? - watch this blog, I shall share in the next day or two!!

No comments:

Post a Comment