Friday, April 15, 2022

Technology and being left behind

I have missed blogging, however the difficulty has been not in not having the time nor the lack of things to blog but technology.

My laptop was purchased prior to 2008 and at the time was way ahead of what was available BUT it began not being able to cope with the technology as it could not update to Google Chrome due to the operating system. 

My Toshiba Satellite still functions really well, as long as I do not want to view my blog page, Ancestry items or Find my Past items and most recently, view more than the basic areas of the DNA sites. I can't even get Facebook or Messenger to load properly.

So, I had to wait until my technology was updated - which it now has. But I refuse to part with my trusty Toshiba so it will do all the photo work and word processing (because I really do not like Windows 10) and the new laptop will become the Genealogy computer.

So I have uploaded Family Tree Maker, that I purchased at Rootstech in 2021, and have decided not to sync with Ancestry as I am in the unique position of being able to ensure that all my research has been sourced. So I entered my details and I am going back one step at a time, one generation at a time and looking at what records I have and finding what I need or what I have misplaced. If I do not have the supporting Primary documentation then that is as far as I go...until I find it!

It is also enabling me to look with fresh eyes on information I collected many years ago but was unable to research further. For example, I have been able to look up my Grandfather's baby brother's burial at Rookwood on their deceased search and now know where he is buried.

The other advantage is that I have been able to set up folders for each person, so that relevant documents can be scanned and stored there. Giving a lot of consideration to how this system would work I decided to set up Surname folders and then sub folders within for each person. For females I have named their folders under their maiden name and put their married name in brackets. In some cases they have two names in brackets as they married twice. So far this system seems to be working well.

I need to get busy with scanning documents too as many I only have a paper copy for. This will be a lot of work but will organise all my files. (I hope anyway).

While I haven't been blogging, I have been on Twitter!

The 1921 Census has been released...so I will have something to blog about on that shortly!



No comments:

Post a Comment